I know it’s difficult to know what is ok and what isn’t for the "healthy bake sales". Here’s a tidbit from the guidelines I posted a month or so ago. The key is portion sizes…..
Snack foods meet the following criteria:
• No more than 30% of total calories come from fat
• No more than 10% of calories come from saturated fat
• No more than 35% added sugar by weight (except fresh, dried or canned fruits and vegetables)
Portion size is limited to:
- Snack foods are 1.25 ounce or less (Snack foods include chips, crackers, popcorn, cereal, trail mix, nuts, seeds, dried fruit and jerky.)
- Cookies and cereal bars are 2 ounces or less
- Bakery items (muffins) are 3 ounces or less
- Frozen desserts, ice cream are 3 ounces or less
- Yogurt are 8 ounces or less
- Beverages (except water) are 12 ounces or less
Foods not recommended for sale include all large-sized portions, regular chips, and candy.
*Snack foods include chips, crackers, popcorn, cereal, trail mix, nuts, seeds, dried fruit and jerky.